Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What An End
to a great weekend!

Well this weekend my son and I and two close friends of ours spent the weekend, a couple hours south, in Albuquerque.We had a great time, visiting with friends and justhaving a good, up building time refreshing time. So yesterday, Monday, we went out for breakfast, hopped in the car, buckled up and headed for home. We would be on the road for about 2-2 1/2 hours. About an hour north of Albuquerque is Santa Fe, and rather than go through SF, we would take the relief route, and basically go around. It's a small highway, two lanes going north, and two going south. Every couple miles there is a part of the road that allows for drivers to go across if the road is clear. Which it's not a super busy road so no problem, you would think.

Well, on one of the cross-ways was a small SUV makingit's way across, as we approached. The SUV was just passing the middle section, and here we were making out way north, buuuuuut, apparently she was distracted or didn't see us, we really don't know why she doesn't stop to let us, on the main highway go by. So she just keeps driving across a about 40-45 mph, our driver swerves to try to avoid getting hit, but we get t-boned at 60 mph. She hits us on the drivers side into my son's door, who is sitting behind the driver.We spin out of control, and then at that point we become air-born andstart rolling, while taking out a light post. OMG!!!!!! We rolled three times
and it felt like the rolling went on forever.
I just kept hoping it would all stop and at the same time I truly thought my lights
were going to go out and that my life was ending that day.And I would never see my son again.

When the vehicle finally came to a rest, we were actually upright. I realized I was still alive and then my claustrophobia kicked in and I could not get out of that car fast enough. I just hoped and prayed the door would open. I pulled the door handle and, awwww, it opened and in an instant I was out!!! My son dove out after me. At that point I basically freaked out for a good 10 minutes, saying,"oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!!!!!! "Once my son knew I was alright, he said he was getting the camera, which had survived and he started taking pictures. His calm nature sure came in handy.

Our two friends in the front seats came out relatively unhurt as well.
Truly God had a hand in keeping us safe and unharmed.
I say this because, coming the other way, headed to another accident were two emergency responders. They saw our whole accident, and told us that as they watch us fly through the air they were sure that there were going to be some major injuries if not a fatality. So, as they approached and saw us all get out and start moving around they were shocked. We were told that in accident of this nature 9 times out of 10 there is a fatality.

I first of all thank God. . . wearing seat belts. . . and a well made car.
(By the way the car belonged to our friends and they had only had it for 2 months, it was brand new and a total loss.)
My dear blog friends, please be sure to wear your seat belts, you
may need it when you least expect it.

My side of the car.

My son's side of the car.

The car was a Kia.

The pole there in front is the one we took out.


  1. Oh my gosh, that had to be sooooo scary! Your poor friends car, but thank God you were all ok! People aren't replacable, but cars are...probably from the woman who hit you and her insurance company.

    I am so happy you're ok!

    Hugs, Kelly

  2. Oh my goodness... just reading your description sent panic through me!! Definitely a miracle that everyone made it out ok (and the camera too!!!)... I am so glad that they did. How scary.

  3. Thank you for your concern. It really was a scary, traumatic experience, and interestingly, it continues to be. My mind continues to go there and I find myself back in that car. I guess it will take a while to get over it, okay, give me a Valium and let me get busy on a cute little bear. I think my bears will be a nice therapy. Oh, and petting my kitties! :D

  4. I just read this post. How frightening that must have been for you, for all of you. I'm so very glad you're all okay. I agree, God was watching over you that day. Take care of yourself! Hugs ♥

  5. OH . . . MY . . . GOD! God was truly with you. I am SO thankful for that. Just reading your post is still sending chills up my spine and making my skin all goose-pimpled. Know that I'm sending lots and lots of love your way. Take good care of yourself and consider finding someone to talk to (a friend, counselor, psychologist, etc.) in order to help you through the trauma. This was a BIG one.
    Lots of love and hugs,
    P.S. I'm glad your little bear is helping you through.